The typical breakfast around our house is pretty basic – toast with some peanut butter or maybe oatmeal. It’s, you know, nothing noteworthy.
Every now and again however there are mornings that just beg for something a little indulgent. This jazzed up French toast recipe fits the bill.
- 4 slices sprouted grain bread
- 2 local eggs
- 1/4 cup local milk
- 1 Tablespoon Amaretto
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tablespoon local unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, amaretto, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Dip each slice of bread into the egg mixture, allowing bread to soak up some of the mixture.
- Add the tablespoon of butter to the hot griddle and let it melt.
- Working in batches, add a couple slices of the soaked bread onto the griddle. Fry until golden brown on both sides, flipping when necessary. Repeat.
- Serve with fruit, a dusting of powdered sugar and, of course, real maple syrup!