My haul from the New Milford Farmers’ Market this weekend was fantastic: Swiss Chard, Kale, Arugula from Riverbank Farm, Rhubarb from Mountain View Farm, Artisan bread from Wave Hill Breads, Kielbasa from Ox Hollow Farm.
We grilled the kielbasa and served it with an arugula salad (with a simple homemade honey mustard vinaigrette). This was followed by homemade cornmeal drop biscuits topped with strawberry rhubarb sauce.
Here’s my recipe for the Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce. It’s not very sweet, so adjust it to your taste if you prefer things a bit sweeter.
- 1 pound diced fresh rhubarb
- 2 cups hulled and chopped fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup local honey
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- Put everything together in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Bring it up to a simmer
- Put a lid on the pot (not completely, tilt it to let a little air escape) and let it cook at a simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve it warm or at room temperature.
P.S. The leftover biscuits and sauce make for a wonderful breakfast too!