I have been melting in all this recent hot weather. Thankfully grilling and a bevy of quick and easy salads are getting us through mealtime. This easy quinoa salad with a tangy fresh herb dressing is perfect for a crowd or just to portion out and enjoy all week as a healthy lunch.
I can’t believe it’s already August. How did this happen? Does anyone else feel this way?
I made this salad way back at the beginning of July for a get-together at our house with every intention of posting the recipe sooner rather than later. That didn’t exactly pan out. I’ve been a tad overbooked and a bit uninspired in the kitchen this summer. That’s not to say I haven’t been enjoying myself, it’s just that I haven’t wanted to really “work” on blogworthy recipes and writing things down and retesting recipes, etc. I haven’t had the time or desire. I’ve just wanted to make dinner or lunch in a hurry and be done with it to enjoy the little bit of downtime that I do have this summer.
That’s why we spent this past Sunday just relaxing. I felt a little guilty for a “wasted day” because there’s a mountain of laundry still to be done and weeds that need to be pulled, but boy it was just what I needed. That’s when I decided this week I was finally going to sit down and share this new recipe.
Healthy, light, delicious, and really easy to make are all the requirements necessary for a great summer meal in my book. This recipe fits the bill. I don’t think I need to say more. Just make it for your family, a party, or yourself, and then go out and enjoy the rest of your summer doing whatever makes you happy, even if that means, doing a lot of nothing.
Easy Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups of water
- 1/3 cup fresh shelled peas
- 2/3 cup diced French breakfast radish
- 2/3 cup diced carrots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chive
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and water has been absorbed 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, maple syrup, ground cumin, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Combine cooked quinoa, peas, radish, carrots, garlic, pepitas, parsley, chives and oregano in a bowl.
Pour dressing over quinoa mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator.
Yum! Perfect for a summer meal and easy to make. I use all organic ingredients and it even FEELS healthy!!
It's inspired all kinds of similar salads with different combinations of seasonal ingredients. So good.