Anyone else crave peanut butter sometimes? Like, just put your spoon into the jar and devour it while hovering in front of the open refrigerator door? Just me?
OK, so I try not to do that on the regular. The other day I wanted to curb my craving for peanut butter while still actually managing to eat a balanced lunch. Enter this quick homemade Thai peanut dressing, which I poured over roasted chicken pieces on a bed of crunchy veggies. Plus thanks to a package of PBfit, I got all the peanut butter flavor I wanted without all the extra calories.
I knew about PBfit but had never sampled it until this month when it came in my Degusta Box. PBfit is whole-roasted peanuts, pressed into a powder. It contains up to 90% less fat than traditional peanut butter and about 1/3 the calories. I liked the concept of being able to enjoy peanut butter flavor without adding too much to my overall fat and calorie intake, but I was hesitant to try it. I mean, how could a powdered version of the real thing be as good? I have to say the flavor is all there and makes it easy to add into sauces or smoothies.
Inspired by the chicken satay with the peanut dipping sauce from my local Thai restaurant, I cut up a leftover roasted chicken breast and whisked up the PBfit, rice wine vinegar, toasted sesame oil, sunflower oil, soy, sriracha and a touch of water. I put the chicken atop of a bed of veggies including napa cabbage, carrot, cucumber, radish, scallions, and cilantro; then drizzled on the peanut dressing.
This is a hearty, filling salad with lots of possibilities:
- This recipe serves two as a meal, but can easily be a side salad for a crowd.
- You don’t have to use chicken. Baked tofu, pork, beef, even seafood, would work great.
- Toss it with cold noodles, like in a Vietnamese bun bowl, for a little fun carb action.
- It’s great if you’re into meal prep. Portion out the salad and protein in one container and the dressing into another. Be sure to keep the dressing separate until you’re ready to eat. The veggies will stay fresh in sealed containers for 3-5 days.
Thai Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing
- 2 cups, diced, roasted chicken breast
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 2 thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 2 thinly sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons PBfit Original
- 1 1/2 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the PBfit, water, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, sunflower oil, Sriracha and soy sauce. Set aside.
- In a large bowl toss together the cabbage, radishes, cucumber, carrot, scallions, and cilantro.
- Divide the vegetables between two bowls. Top each serving with 1 cup of diced chicken breast.
- Drizzle each portion with some of the peanut dressing and enjoy!