Instead of sharing a heathy-eating, clean-eating, detox, reset yourself post for the new year, this first post of 2019 is a recipe for fudge. It’s probably the quickest, easiest fudge you’ll ever make and it tastes like a little piece of sweet heaven.
I had planned to send this recipe out into the world before the Christmas holiday. It’s a great handmade gift or to have ready at a moment’s notice for holiday guests. The thing is, life kind of got in the way and I just didn’t get to it. And, you know what? That’s perfectly OK. If 2018 taught me anything, it’s not to beat myself up when things don’t go as planned. Just roll with it. The world won’t end because I didn’t post on the blog.
It also doesn’t matter if it’s December or January. Sure, I do cut back on extra indulgences and refocus on healthy choices in January, but if I want a cookie or a piece of fudge, well, I’m not going to deny myself. Some days just call for a sweet treat and you shouldn’t feel bad about it.
For those times when you crave a little something sweet, this recipe comes in handy. No fancy technique or equipment is required; just a microwave, a microwave safe bowl, and a silicon spatula for stirring. As the base for the fudge, all you need is sweetened condensed milk, butter, vanilla, and semi-sweet chocolate chips. From there, I chose to mix in the Campfire Mini Marshmallows from my December Degusta Box. I am a big fan of hot cocoa and this creamy fudge with mini marshmallows tastes just like a cup of hot cocoa!
If marshmallows aren’t your thing, swap them for nuts or dried fruit or toffee bits or whatever you like better. Next time, I’m going to add nuts along with the mini marshmallows for a rocky road fudge. The possibilities are endlessly delicious.
This year, I say – you do you. You want to make healthy choices, make healthy choices. You want a little dessert, have a little dessert.
Super Easy Hot Cocoa Fudge
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1, 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Line an 8×8 baking dish with aluminum foil, make sure to hang the foil over the edges of the dish.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and butter. Microwave for 3 minutes, stirring every 30 to 60 seconds, just until the chocolate mixture is melted and smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla and 1 cup of the mini marshmallows.
- Pour the fudge into the prepared baking dish and smooth it into an even layer. Add the remaining cup of mini marshmallows and gently press them into the top of the fudge.
- Cover and place the fudge in the refrigerator to set, for at least 2 hours. Once set, lift out of the baking dish, cut into 2-inch squares and serve.