Grilled peaches filled with ricotta, cinnamon, nuts, and honey are a simple summer delight fancy enough for a party, and easy enough for any night of the week.
The taste of a just-picked peach brings me back to childhood. Before I got “into” the local food movement, I would lament that supermarket peaches just didn’t taste like the ones I remember when I was a kid. In fact, they were more times than not, completely tasteless. That first bite of a local peach over ten years ago when I rediscovered “local food” was a rush of flavor and memories. I said to myself “Now, this was what I remember” and so dearly missed.
Peaches were something we’d buy only in the summer, then they disappeared from store shelves until the next summer. It was “a take advantage of them while you could” mantra. We’ve lost that a bit nowadays; I see peaches year around in the grocery store. I get it, but to me, they just don’t taste the same. It’s not “peach season” in New England in January, and to get them here from wherever they are grown means they are probably picked underripe, and that means not-so-tasty even by the time they get to the produce department.
That’s why I have been binging on local peaches. I cannot get enough of them lately. This recipe keeps it simple so you can still celebrate what makes a local peach so delightful but turns it into a light summer dessert.
How To Make Cinnamon Ricotta Grilled Peaches
Split a couple of peaches, take out the pit, and grill ’em. Then once they soften, turn them cut side up and scoop on a mix of ricotta, cinnamon, and honey. Add some crunch with nuts on top and maybe an extra drizzle of local honey for good measure.
It tastes good and looks pretty too. And, sure you can serve this dessert with a knife and fork, but I say just pick up your half and eat it with your hands, which just seems like the natural thing to do at a casual summer meal.
Ever had a childhood flashback with the first bite of your favorite summer fruit? What are some of your favorite summer food moments?
Cinnamon Ricotta Grilled Peaches
- 2 peaches split in half, pitted
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 4 teaspoons chopped pecans
- In a small bowl stir together the ricotta, cinnamon and two teaspoons of honey. Set aside.
- Cut the peaches in half and remove the pit. Brush coconut oil on the cut side of each half. Place face down on the grill over medium-high heat. Grill 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat. Scoop 1 tablespoon of the ricotta mixture into each peach half.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon chopped pecans over the top of each half.
- Drizzle 1/4 teaspoon of honey over each half and serve immediately.
Photos by Renato Ghio