Sweet potato toasts. If you are a sweet potato fan like I am, then this is the kind of breakfast trend you’ll want to try. I mean, how can you go wrong with thin slices of sweet potato topped with whatever you can dream up?
I cannot get enough of mine topped with Calabro’s organic ricotta, hot honey, and pomegranate seeds. It’s a warm, savory and healthy breakfast win.
Disclosure: I received cheese from Calabro Cheese Corp. to facilitate this recipe. I received no other compensation and the opinions contained herein are my own and reflect my experience with the products. Your own may differ.
I was in a bit of a breakfast rut. So, it was on a lazy Sunday morning as I stood in the kitchen wondering what I was going to make for breakfast, that my eyes wandered to the sweet potatoes. The whole SPT (sweet potato toast) trend has been around for a while but I just never got around to trying it out. That morning seemed like the perfect time to finally do it.
I scrubbed and patted dry a large sweet potato. Next, using my mandoline, I sliced it into lengthwise 1/4-inch thick pieces. I don’t have a toaster and thought that turning on the big oven for this was a waste of energy. Instead, I used my trusty toaster oven.
While the slices baked away, I considered topping choices. I could have gone full hipster with an avocado, but I’d been having avocado topped breakfasts a lot lately. I was out of any sort of nut butter. Then I had a lightbulb moment when I pulled a tub of Calabro’s organic ricotta out of the fridge. A classic Italian breakfast or snack is a piece of crusty Italian bread smeared with fresh ricotta along with some honey or jam or even something more savory like a sliced tomato and olive oil. It’s one of my favorite things. I figured that same idea would probably be delicious on a sweet potato. I was right. It’s darn delicious!
The toasted sweet potato slices held up well to a pretty heavy-handed spoonful of ricotta. Their sweetness was a perfect match for the creamy cheese. A sprinkle of pomegranate seeds added a little tartness and a drizzle of hot honey gave things just the right amount of heat.
Sweet potato toasts are a delicious, healthy option to break up your breakfast routine.
Hot Honey Ricotta Sweet Potato Toasts
- 1 large sweet potato (approx. 13 ounces)
- 8 tablespoons Calabro organic whole milk ricotta
- 8 teaspoons pomegranate seeds
- 2 teaspoons Mike’s Hot Honey
- Sea salt, to taste
- Thinly slice a sweet potato the long way into about 1/4-inch slices.
- If you have a slot toaster, toast the sweet potato slices with nothing on them for 2 – 3 rounds or until they are tender and browned in spots. Or, in a toaster oven, cook the slices at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes until they are tender and brown around the edges, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of ricotta on each slice. Then sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of pomegranate seeds over each slice.
- Drizzle each slice with 1/4 teaspoon honey and finish off with a pinch or two of sea salt.