As the weather begins to warm, the foods I crave start to become lighter. But I have to tell you, last week’s dreary rainy days kept me nestled by the fireplace enjoying hot, hearty meals. And, this chorizo and spinach soup totally fit the bill.
Chorizo and Spinach Soup
- 1/2 lb. smoked chorizo, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons grated gruyere cheese (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the chorizo and onion. Saute until the onion is translucent and the chorizo slightly crispy.
- Sprinkle in the garlic, cumin, and paprika. Continue sauteeing until the spices become fragrant, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked cannellini beans and fresh spinach. Cook until the spinach just becomes wilted.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Ladle into four bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon of grated gruyere cheese.
- Serve immediately.