As the weather begins to warm, the foods I crave start to become lighter. But I have to tell you, last week’s dreary rainy days kept me nestled by the fireplace enjoying hot, hearty meals. And, this chorizo and spinach soup totally fit the bill.
During a string of gray days, I always seem to loose motivation when I get home from work. I just want to curl up and to binge watch something on Netflix. So, on days like that, I keep dinner easy. And, soup, well that’s pretty darn easy, especially when you have ready-made stock or broth on hand.
This soup earned high marks last week thanks to smoked chorizo and rich chicken stock from Marwin Farm. Fresh spinach gave things not only added nutrition but a nice bright pop of color. I’d say this soup is a little bit of sunshine in a bowl.
Chorizo and Spinach Soup
- 1/2 lb. smoked chorizo, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons grated gruyere cheese (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the chorizo and onion. Saute until the onion is translucent and the chorizo slightly crispy.
- Sprinkle in the garlic, cumin, and paprika. Continue sauteeing until the spices become fragrant, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked cannellini beans and fresh spinach. Cook until the spinach just becomes wilted.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Ladle into four bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon of grated gruyere cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Photos by Renato Ghio
Soup is for all year long!