A unique chai spice combination lends big flavor to this nutty snack, so you don’t need to add a lot of salt or sugar.
Disclosure: I received one free month of Raw Spice Bar to facilitate recipe creation. I received no other compensation for this post and the opinions contained herein, are my own and reflect my experience with the products. Your own may differ.
Happy 2017! I’m starting off the new year with a recipe for a healthy snack.
Nuts are one of my go-to snacks. Loaded with protein and healthy fats, they can help curb your hunger pangs without making you feel guilty about having a little snack. Plain nuts are good, but I like a little more flavor. The only problem is that I find most flavored nuts you buy in the store are generally full of not-so-good-for-you ingredients that negate the health benefits. Needless to say, I make my own.
About Raw Spice Bar
The Peppercorn Chai mixture from Raw Spice Bar made this snack especially easy to whip up in no time. If you don’t know about Raw Spice Bar, it is a monthly spice subscription service. I first wrote about them back in 2015 so you can check out that post for details. The service has definitely grown since then and the price now ranges from $7 a month for a 12-month subscription up to $8 a month for just 1 month. For a spice lover like me, I think it’s still a good price allowing you to explore spices from around the world. Plus, if you really fall in love with one particular blend from them, you can order extra of just that one for between $4 to $6.
If subscription services aren’t your thing, no worries, you can always check out the spice section of the grocery store for already put-together chai spice blends or buy the individual spices and make your own unique mix. While there are variations, most chai mixtures are a combination of peppercorns, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cardamom, star anise, and maybe a few other spices too. The one from Raw Spice Bar also has rose petals!
The unique chai spice combination lends a big flavor, so you don’t need to add a lot of salt or sugar. Just a pinch of kosher salt and a teaspoon of maple syrup do the trick.
Peppercorn Chai Mixed Nuts
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- .3 ounce Raw Spice Bar Peppercorn Chai
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, chai spice mixture and salt.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the nuts and stir in the chai spiced liquid until the nuts are well coated.
- Spread the coated nuts in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until nuts are golden and fragrant, about 20 minutes, or until nuts are golden and fragrant.
- Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Photos by Renato Ghio