Packed with chewy dried cranberries and crunchy almonds, this chunky cranberry almond dark chocolate bark is a delicious sweet holiday treat. It’s perfect to whip up as a last-minute dessert for a holiday party or dinner, but it also makes a lovely gift.
This post contains affiliate links. I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
What is Chocolate Bark?
Chocolate bark is simply a sheet of melted and cooled chocolate, covered with nuts, dried fruits, candies or even more chocolate. This dessert gets it’s name “bark” from the fact that when finished it resembles the craggy surface of a tree.
Ingredients for Chunky Cranberry Almond Dark Chocolate Bark
For this version, I went with the classic combo of cranberry and almond. The beauty is that once you know the method for making it, you can easily adapt the recipe and use whatever type of chocolate, spices, nuts, and dried fruits you enjoy.
You only need four ingredients for this quick treat.
- dark chocolate chips or whatever kind of chocolate you prefer
- dried cranberries, preferably unsweetened if you can find them
- ground ginger
Chocolate bark is an incredibly simple sweet holiday treat. It’s not only perfect to whip up as a last-minute dessert for a holiday party or dinner, but it also makes a lovely gift.
How To Make Chunky Cranberry Almond Dark Chocolate Bark
There are two ways to melt the chocolate, either in the microwave or on the stove in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. I prefer the stovetop method because it’s easier to keep an eye on the chocolate. If you prefer the microwave method, nuke the chips in small time intervals. Stir, then nuke a little bit more until it’s fully melted and smooth. On the stove top, just keep stirring it until it’s nice and smooth, then pull it off the heat.
Then mix in your fruits, nuts or candies into the melted chocolate. Spread on a parchment lined baking sheet and chill until firm. Break into pieces and enjoy or package as a gift.
How To Store Chocolate Bark
You can store it at room temperature, but it will only last for about 5-7 days. I recommend storing it an airtight container in the fridge. This way it will stay good for about 2 week.
Chunky Cranberry Almond Dark Chocolate Bark
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips
- ¾ cup dried unsweetened cranberries
- ¾ cup chopped almonds
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the chopped almonds on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Transfer the nuts to a bowl and let cool.
- Line another rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or on the stove. Microwave method: Place the chocolate chips in a medium-sized microwaveable bowl (preferably glass) and microwave on high, stirring every 15 seconds, until the chocolate is melted. Stove method: In a small saucepan over low heat, bring about 2 inches of water to a low simmer. Place the chocolate chips in a small heat safe bowl (preferably glass) and set it over the pan of water. Stir the chocolate until melted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir in the ground ginger, ½ cup dried cranberries and ½ cup toasted almonds.
- Spread the mixture onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup dried cranberries and ¼ cup toasted almonds on top. Gently press the toppings into the bark to adhere.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes or until the chocolate is firm. Break into pieces and serve or create individual packages to give as gifts. Keep refrigerated until ready to eat or give away.
You Might Also Enjoy
Photos by Renato Ghio