Maybe it is just me, but I find it so much easier to eat light and healthy as the days start getting longer and warmer. I also seem to be more inclined to make fish. And, when I’m in the mood to cook fish, cod is typically my go-to choice. It’s available year-round, isn’t incredibly expensive, can be cooked all different ways, and pairs well with bold flavors like fresh herbs and citrus.
Before we get into the recipe, let’s get this soapbox moment out of the way. I try to source my food responsibly. I am very vigilant when it comes to seafood options. Whenever I buy seafood, I always consult my Seafood Watch app. I want to make choices that not only support my tastes but more importantly don’t have a negative impact on the environment. You can check out what they recommend when it comes to Cod HERE.
Okay, so now let’s get to the delicious part. This healthy cod dish relies on what I like to call Italian pantry staples: roasted red pepper and artichoke hearts. A lot of my weeknight dinners are last-minute creations, so having these two ingredients on standby is a must in my kitchen. What brings life to the dish is fresh rosemary. This dinner is simple but still gives you a colorful, flavorful meal perfect to whip up on a busy weeknight.
Baked Cod with Artichokes
- 2, 8oz. pieces of cod fillet
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans
- 1 cup quartered artichoke hearts in water
- ½ cup roasted red peppers, diced
- ¾ teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the two cod fillets on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil.
- Drizzle on 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and two teaspoons of minced rosemary on the fillets. Season with Salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, until the fillets are opaque and easy flake apart with a fork.
- While the cod bakes in the oven, place a medium-sized sauté pan on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Add two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to the pan.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent. Add the chopped garlic and cook until just lightly golden brown.
- Add the artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper and cooked cannellini beans. Cook until heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining half a teaspoon of fresh rosemary.
- Divide the artichoke mixture evenly between two plates. Top each portion with a baked cod fillet. Serve hot.