For the most part, I’m a go with the flow eater. I’m not a dressing on the side or a menu substitutions kind of person. However, when it comes to chicken salad I have certain standards. 1. It can’t be swimming in mayo. 2. It needs to have chunky pieces of chicken. 3. It needs to have some fresh vegetable crunch.
When I order chicken salad, for the most part, it’s just not quite the way I like it. And, this is why I usually just make it myself. Well, I got a little creative with my latest chicken salad combination and I may have even raised the bar for my own standards.
So, I put jam in my chicken salad. I know, it sounds kind of crazy. But, is it? I mean I’ve made chicken breasts glazed with jam. Plus, I love mixing savory and sweet flavors together in a variety of dishes. Quite frankly, it just seemed silly that I hadn’t thought of the idea before.
It was the perfect way to use up the last of the Skappo Family Kitchen Tangy Apricot jam. There is a brightness to this jam, thanks to a hearty dose of lemon in with the apricots. I love this stuff. And seriously, they aren’t paying me to say this. I just really like it.
The jam with a touch of dijon mustard and mayo was the perfect match of sweet, tangy and creamy to hold together chunky (lazily chopped) chicken breast pieces with minced fresh vegetables. And, for once, I opted not to have bread and simply scooped the chicken salad mixture onto fresh arugula from Holbrook Farm.
With this recipe, my homemade chicken salad may never be the same. Who’s hungry for lunch?
Sweet + Tangy Chicken Salad
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1 celery stick, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon apricot jam
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- Salt + black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups fresh arugula
- In a medium bowl, combine the diced chicken, minced onion, carrot, and celery. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the jam, mustard, and mayo.
- Add the jam mixture to the chicken and vegetables. Stir until well combined.
- Place 1 cup of arugula on each plate. Divide the chicken salad evenly among the plates. Serve.