New England meets Tex-Mex. This vegan one-pot meal gives you sweet and spicy flavors in a light, yet creamy delicious soup.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy.
A while back, I asked Local Food Rocks Facebook fans what kind of recipe they wanted to read. The consensus was something vegetarian, in a slow cooker. How could I resist such a request?
This Slow Cooker Corn + Sweet Potato Chowder is for all the fans.
I like to think of this recipe as a touch of New England with a hint of Tex-Mex thanks to a few chipotle peppers in adobo. This one-pot meal gives you sweet and spicy flavors in a light, yet creamy soup. Plus, yes, it’s vegan.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder Ingredients
- Yellow onion
- Green bell pepper
- Chipotles in adobo – chipotles in adobo are smoked and dried jalapeños rehydrated and canned in a sweet and tangy purée of tomato, vinegar, garlic, and other spices. If you don’t like spicy food, either use less than what the recipe calls for or omit completely.
- Frozen corn – regular frozen corn kernels are fine, but if you have or can find roasted frozen corn use it instead. It adds a wonderful flavor. You can find it at Trader Joe’s.
- Sweet potatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Unsweetened coconut milk – Make sure you buy full fat coconut milk in the can. Shake it up before adding it to the chowder.
- Salt and black pepper
How To Make Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder
The slow cooker does most of the work in this recipe. It boils down to three main steps.
- Add all the ingredients except the coconut milk into the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Then transfer about a third of the chowder to a blender. Blend until smooth. (Be careful when blending hot liquids! See my tip below.) Stir the mixture back into the slow cooker andcontinue to cook for another hour.
- Chow down.
- We enjoyed to large bowls for dinner and froze the rest in quart-sized containers to enjoy in the future. Let the chowder cool completely before packaging it up. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months or in the refrigerator for about 1 week.
How To Safely Blend Hot Soup
Hot liquids will steam and expand in the blender, which can push the top off, causing not only a mess but more importantly, a burn hazard. When pureeing hot liquid, do it in batches.
- Allow the soup to cool for a few minutes before blending.
- Remove the center cap from the lid of your blender.
- Fill blender halfway and place a towel over the top of the blender.
- Hold the towel and lid firmly. Start blending on lowest speed and gradually increase speed until the soup reaches your desired consistency. Repeat as needed.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato and Corn Chowder
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 chipotle in adobo minced
- 2 pounds frozen corn
- 2 ½ pounds sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 14 ounce canned unsweetened coconut milk
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Add all the ingredients except the coconut milk to the slow cooker insert.
- Place on the cover. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, transfer about a third of the soup into a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. Make sure you allow the steam to escape while blending.
- Pour puree portion back into the slow cooker. Stir in the coconut milk. Put the lid back on and continue cooking for another hour.
- Serving suggestions
A squeeze of fresh lime juice over the top before serving adds brightness to the soup.
For meat eaters other there, top your soup with crumbled bacon.
If spicy isn’t your thing, use fewer chipotles or omit them completely.
You can also add additional spices such as ground cumin or smoked paprika.
Photos by Renato Ghio
This sounds delish! I may try this soon!