As you probably guessed by the word “tropical”: This recipe is not local at all … but it’s also too good not to share.
Sometimes I just need a tropical fruit fix. It’s really that simple. On a dreary winter’s morning, I want to drink sunshine.
So, let’s talk about what is probably one of my favorite smoothies ever. Featuring pineapple, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and chia seeds this smoothie not only tastes amazing it’s an anti-inflammatory powerhouse.
Why should you care about that? Well, chronic inflammation is often a root cause of many illnesses including heart disease, cancer, arthritis, and even may play a role in Alzheimer’s disease. Inflammation is part of the body’s healing response, but when it persists, it can damage the body instead of helping it. (I’m not a scientist. I don’t play one on TV. This is a basic summary of what I’ve gleaned from various studies and articles.)
Turmeric, Cinnamon, Ginger
- Turmeric contains curcumin, a powerful antioxidant that cools inflammation and keeps plaque from sticking to artery walls. It also lowers blood cholesterol.
- Among the many benefits of cinnamon and ginger include digestion aid, anti-viral properties, toothache relief, diabetes prevention, cold, flu, and pain relief among others.
- Pineapples are loaded with vitamin A and C, fiber, potassium, phosphorous and calcium.
- Bromelain, the anti-inflammatory enzyme in pineapple, boosts the healing power of Vitamin C. Pineapples promote heart health, strong bones, immunity, and digestion.
- Yes, there is a lot of hype surrounding chia seeds. Hype or not, they are good for you. Chia seeds contain a high amount of omega-3s that combat inflammation and help lubricate your joints.
So, yes, it may not be local, but this smoothie deserves a spot in the rotation. Sunshine tastes delicious.
- 1 cup coconut water
- ½ fresh pineapple, cored and cut into chunks
- 1 banana
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- Starting with the coconut water, place all the ingredients in a blender.
- Put on the lid and puree until smooth.