At this time of year, I’m especially smitten with all the delightful carbs like mashed sweet potatoes and stuffing. I can’t help to notice that I seem to fill my plate with all things brown, orange, or cream.
Where are the greens?
Yes, even I, have been known to skip the salad at the holiday meal. This year I wanted to make sure the greens didn’t get left by the wayside. Green leafy vegetables should be a part of the party too.
Dark leafy vegetables are a hard sell, I know. I don’t care. I like them and I love how they become a touch sweeter with the cold. To enjoy that flavor however, they need to be fresh; especially if you want to eat them raw like I propose in the recipe below.
This raw Brussels sprouts salad is seasonal, and I think, festive looking too. It’s very filling and all those shredded baby cabbages are complimented by the toasty nuts, tangy lemon-ginger dressing, and tart cranberries.
And, if no one wants to make room on their plate for it, well, fine, more for me. Here’s to a well-balanced holiday meal.
with Lemon-Ginger Dressing
- 4 cups shaved Brussels sprouts
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1½ teaspoons fresh minced rosemary
- juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon raw honey
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a mandoline or knife, shave or shred the sprouts.
- Place the shredded sprouts into a large bowl.
- Toss in the minced fresh rosemary, chopped toasted pecans and dried cranberries.
- In a small bowl whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, honey and fresh ginger. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine.
- Serve immediately.