This was going to be a post simply about celebrating vegetables. After all it’s Monday and I thought a Meatless Monday post would be nice to write.
It was going to be … but, well … bacon.
Grilled asparagus is one of my favorite things in Spring, add a few local potatoes to the mix and it’s a nice light meal unto itself. Just a touch of olive oil, salt and pepper and you’re good to go.
This time, I thought a tangy dressing would add an extra Spring like accent. Then, I peered into the fridge to grab the dijon mustard and the bacon practically jumped into my hands. Before I knew it, this recipe went from pure vegetarian to omnivore-ready.
Sure this meal would have been wonderful with just a basic dijon vinaigrette, but then again (for us), bacon really does make everything better.
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, washed and trimmed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 1 large Russet potato, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 bacon slices
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- While the grill gets going, make the dressing by heating frying pan over medium high heat. Fry the bacon until crispy.
- Drain the cooked bacon slices on a piece of paper towel and allow the fat in the pan to slightly cool.
- In a small bowl combine the white wine vinegar, dijon mustard and chives. Slowly whisk in one tablespoon of the cooled bacon fat along with one tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Next, trim the woody stems off the asparagus and thinly slice the sweet potato and Russet potato to about a 1/4 inch thick.
- Toss the vegetables in two tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Place the vegetables on the grill. Cook for 3-5 minutes, flip and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Place the grilled vegetables on a platter and pour on the dressing. Crumble the bacon and sprinkle over the top. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Yum! Bacon is amazing. I am pinning this for later 🙂
That looks delicious!! And of course bacon makes everything better 🙂
I think my husband would love this!
Thanks! I'm glad it's pin-worthy.
Thanks Sarah! Bacon really is magical that way. 🙂
Glad to hear it.
this looks delicious!