Barcelona Wine Bar + Restaurant in South Norwalk is having a “La Vida del Mercat” food and wine showcase on Wednesday, April 16th at 7 pm. This first-time event is a walk-around tasting that will feature their favorite food purveyors, both locally and from Spain, as well as their direct import “Gretchen Selection” wines.
The back dining room will be transformed into a Barcelona Farmers Market where guests can sample and learn from a variety of Barcelona purveyors. The Barcelona chef will also be preparing special dishes using seasonally-ready produce from Westport-based Speckled Rooster Farm (speckledroosterfarm.com). In the center of the “market” will be a family-style dining table where guests can take a moment to sit down and enjoy their food and spirits.
Purveyors (so far) include:
- Forever Cheese – Primarily focusing on cheese imported from Italy, Spain, Portugal and Croatia, Forever Cheese debuted in 1998 in order to meet the increasing demand for Mediterranean products.
- Captain Lawrence Brewing Company – An Award-winning brewery located in Elmsford, NY, their beers are strongly influenced by traditional Belgian ale styles with an American twist.
- Docs Maple Syrup – Hand crafted, organic maple syrup from Carpenters Farm in NY, Docs Maple Syrup has been producing NY’s best maple syrup through their unique process guaranteeing natural sweetness straight from the trees.
- Catalan Gourmet – A unique global organization that works with an exclusive network of small food producers in Spain, Catalan Gourmet imports their exquisite products in the USA.
- Caledonia Spirits – Located in Hardwick, VT, Caledonia country is a community inspired by farms where the production of milk, cheese, timber, grains, honey, seeds and herbs are part of life and help define the land. Essential ingredients from local farms are used to produce all of Caledonia Spirits.
- Monte Nevado – Monte Nevado is a family business founded in 1898. Typical food of the Spanish gastronomy, the Monte Nevado ham is one of the most appetizing delicacies among the cured hams of the highest quality.
- Gretchen’s Selections – Since 2006, Barteca Wine + Spirits Director, Gretchen Thomas, has been managing a small portfolio of dynamic, artisanal wines for the Barcelona wine program. The wines Gretchen selects have very special stories attached to each producer and she has a personal relationship with each grower she represents. They are premium, small production wines that through her partnership with Classic Imports, are made affordable enough to offer at glass-pouring prices when they otherwise would be unable via traditional channels of importation. Barcelona Wine Bar proudly offers these outstanding selections, and shares them with other local restaurants and wine retailers to help extend the success of these great wineries.
- Recaredo – If you are a champagne enthusiast, this Catalonia-based cava producer is worth discovering. It is a small family-owned cava producer with big ambitions and wines that are somewhat different than the usual. They are organic and biodynamic.
There will be plenty to taste and experience at La Vida del Mercat at Barcelona!
Check the Barcelona Wine Bar calendar for the growing list of participants. To reserve your spot for this event, visit https://fs17.formsite.com/barcelona/wine/secure_index.html to make your reservation. The cost is $40/person.
Their menu is small but at least they seem to do what they have on it well. The Boston restaurants have a variety of salads and sandwiches, and a fresh daily soup.