If you weren’t sure you wanted to make this recipe by the post title alone, then let me tell you this: Cracked potatoes are like crack – totally addictive!
“Cracked” potatoes are really just cooked whole small-sized potatoes that are then squished down as much or as little as you’d like and popped into an oven to get the cracked edges crispy. What’s not to love about that?
As the diligent recipe testers that we are, we devoured nearly a dozen of these in one sitting. So be warned, they may be a side dish but they’ll definitely steal the show.
- 12 red potatoes, scrubbed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the oven heats up, boil the potatoes until fork tender.
- Drain and pat dry. Then, arrange them on a rimmed baking sheet and using a potato masher gently press down on each potato until it “cracks”. *
- Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes, season with salt, pepper and dried thyme. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the tops of the potatoes.
- Baking in the oven for 30 minutes until the edges are crispy.
- Serve immediately.
Note: Crack the potatoes as much or as little as you like. The more cracked they become the more gentle you’ll need to be removing them from the pan. I kept a lighter touch so as to maintain some integrity to each potato and therefore eat them with my fingers. Don’t judge.