It’s not everyone’s first instinct to grill summer squashes and zucchini, but it should be. They become tender and juicy. Plus, especially with charcoal grills, grilling adds a smokey taste that compliments their floral nature.
The key is to make sure you cut the squash into pieces of equal thickness so everything will cook at the same rate. Also, make sure the pieces are big enough that they won’t fall through the grate – for this reason, I recommend cutting most varieties of zucchini and squash into lengthwise slices. Yes, you could use one of those grill baskets, but where’s the challenge in that? And hey, grill marks are pretty.
Simple summer grilling at it’s best.
- 1 yellow squash, cut lengthwise into 3/8″ pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut lengthwise into 3/8″ pieces
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- Salt, to taste
- Heat the grill to a medium heat.
- Cut the squash and zucchini lengthwise into equally thick slices. Toss in a bowl with the olive oil, Herbes de Provence, and salt.
- Lay the vegetable pieces directly on the grill grate.
- Cook approximately 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately.