Punxsutawney Phil predicts it’ll be an early spring, but Chuckles predicts it’ll be six more weeks of winter. I guess even in the groundhog community no one can agree on the weather.
All I know is that it’s winter right now and I needed a flavor pick me up reminiscent of warmer days. Then I recalled my frozen berry bundles from summer. They were just what the doctor ordered.
Oatmeal is a staple weekday breakfast in our household, but adding some frozen berries elevated it from every day to special day.
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup frozen whole berries, thawed
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- In a saucepan bring the water to a boil.
- Add the oats, cinnamon, maple syrup, vanilla extract, salt and maple syrup.
- Cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally until nearly all the water is absorbed.
- Add the berries and milk.
- Cook for another five minutes, stirring occasionally so noting sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- When the oatmeal is thickened. Remove from heat, cover and let is sit for another five or so minutes.
- Divide into two bowls and serve.
Now that’s the way to start the day!