I love these cookies. They are so simple, yet elegant. The lightly sweet lemony flavor is a nice palate cleanser after a rich meal and they go well with a strong cup of espresso.
Makes about 3 dozen
(I hate to admit it but this recipe is from Every Day with Rachael Ray)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- Grated peel of 2 lemons, plus a tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, combine the butter, 1 cup of sugar, the lemon peel and lemon juice until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, baking soda and salt and combine.
- Place the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll heaping teaspoons of dough into balls, then roll in the sugar.
- Place onto the line cookie sheets a few inches apart.
- Bake until golden around the edges, about 14 minutes. Rotate the cookie sheets half way through the baking time.
- Transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.