Last Saturday I had the pleasure of doing a summer tasting demo at Kitchenworks in Litchfield, CT. Special thanks to Laura from A Return To Simple for stopping by and for posting some photos in her week in review post.
As with all my cooking demos I wanted to offer something that truly made the most out of what’s in season right now. I think this salsa is a pleasing balance of spicy, sweet and crunchy.
- 2 cups strawberries, diced
- 1 cup cucumbers, diced
- ½ fresh jalapeño, minced
- 1 Tablespoon scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh mint OR fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic scapes, thinly sliced
- Juice of ½ fresh lime
- Juice of ½ fresh lemon
- Salt to taste
- Add to a large bowl: strawberries, cucumbers, jalapeño, scallions, scapes and mint or cilantro.
- Squeeze over the top the juice from half a lime and half a lemon.
- Add salt to your taste. Gently toss.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes before serving to let the flavors combine.
- The cilantro version of this salsa makes a perfect topping for grilled fish or chicken.
- The mint version of this salsa works well with fun-flavors of tortilla chip like blue corn or chocolate.