Last night I finally used up all of my homegrown yellow pear tomatoes from the freezer. I must say, it was a delicious send off.
Spicy Yellow Tomato Soup
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Approx. 9 cups frozen whole yellow pear tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the garlic and saute until lightly golden brown.
- Add the frozen whole tomatoes and cup of vegetable stock.
- Put on the lid and let it cook, checking occasionally to make sure nothing is burning or sticking.
- When the tomatoes are completely broken down and the liquid is boiling away add the minced chipotle pepper in adobo and oregano.
- Stir and let it cook for another minute or so.
- Then remove the pot from the burner and using an immersion blender puree the soup to remove any chunks.
- When the soup is smooth season with salt and pepper and return the pot to the heat.
- Bring the soup back up to a boil and let it reduce until it’s to a consistency you like.
- Then serve it up hot or let it cool and serve at room temp.
I paired the soup with a black bean and goat cheese quesadilla. It was a wonderful earthy, creamy compliment to the spicy soup. A crunchy salad also would work really well.