Rainy, chilly days are perfect for soup! Warm and comforting, it always seems to cancel out a grey, dreary day. Now don’t get me wrong, brothy soups have their place but in our house we like ’em hearty. This soup didn’t disappoint and no doubt the leftovers will taste even better.
- 1/2-3/4 head of cabbage, corded and sliced into thin ribbons
- 5 medium sized potatoes, scrubbed and diced
- 1 large leek, rinsed and sliced into thin half moons
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups stock
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced potatoes and some salt.
- Cover and cook until tender and starting to brown.
- Stir in the leeks slices and minced garlic. Again, cover the pot and let it cook until the leeks are tender.
- Add the stock and bring the pot up to a light boil.
- Stir in the cabbage ribbons and cook until the cabbage softens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.*
- Serve it up. Top each bowl of soup with some of the grated cheese.
*The key is adding enough seasoning, otherwise the soup will taste a bit bland.
- Great flavor additions to this soup would (of course) bacon or white beans of both.
- Don’t have leeks, substitute with a yellow onion.