This past Saturday was my first cooking demo of the season at the Litchfield Hills Farm Fresh Market. What made it extra special was a few friends in the audience! Thanks Sophie (Late Bloomers Farm) and Amanda.
Saturday’s recipe is a delightful, fresh and flavorful combination perfect for this hot summer weather.
This recipe is fabulous with quinoa too!
Strawberry & Curried Couscous
Serves 4-6 (as a side dish)
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup micro greens (or any kind of salad greens, chopped)
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large glass bowl mix together the uncooked couscous, curry powder, turmeric and a pinch of salt.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and pour over the couscous. Stir. Cover the bowl with a tight fitting lid or plastic wrap and let it sit until all the water is absorbed. About 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Then add in the micro greens, strawberries, cucumber, scallions and basil.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and honey.
- Our the dressing over the couscous mixture and stir.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve room temperature.
- Add in some toasted sliced almonds for a nutty crunch.
- No couscous? Try this with quinoa of a blend of different grains.
And just a reminder my next demo day at the market is Saturday July 17th.