Here’s the simple spinach pesto I whipped up for folks to sample at the Post University Earth Day festivities.
Much to my delight I was able to convince some skeptical students to give it a try!
- 4 cups fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino/Romano cheese
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- In a food processor add the spinach and garlic.
- Add a pinch or two of salt, then out on the lid and start the food processor.
- With the food processor on, stream in the extra virgin olive oil.
- When the mixture appears well incorporated, turn off the food processor and pour the pesto in a medium sized bowl.
- Stir in the cheeses and it’s ready to serve!
NOTE: I normally add nuts to my pesto, but I omitted them here, just in case someone sampled this at the festivities and was allergic to nuts. But by all means try a 1/3 cup of toasted pine nuts, or hazelnuts, or walnuts.
Fresh, delicious and healthy food doesn’t have to be complicated. This pesto is a breeze to make and works in so many dishes from pasta and grains to meat and fish.