Before winter was over I was determined to make something just as warm and hearty as oatmeal, but with a little twist. I am so glad I did.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a medium sauce pan add the uncooked quinoa, 1 cup of water and 1 cup of milk. Bring it to a boil. Then reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes (until all the liquid is absorbed).
- Add the rest of the milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flax seeds.
- Bring it to a gentle simmer and let it cook until it reaches your desired consistency (the longer it cooks the thicker it gets).
- Then remove it from the heat and stir in the maple syrup.
- Scoop into individual servings. Top each bowl with some of the dried cranberries and walnuts.
- The sky is the limit with this. There are tons of ways to customize it. Get inspired and just wing it. Come summer I’m thinking fresh local strawberries and honey would be delicious.