We had to work late last night, so by the time we got home I was quickly loosing steam. Alas, dinner was not going to cook itself. Plus, the cupboards were relatively bare and the refrigerator only contained a few lone fresh ingredients. (Yes, it’s time to restock.)
As the saying goes “necessity is the mother of all invention.” Well, a quick and easy dinner was a necessity that turned out to be a successful, tasty invention.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small head of broccoli, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium-sized apple, diced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup of chopped cashews
- 8 tablespoons freshly grated cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse the quinoa.
- In a medium saucepan add the rinsed quinoa and vegetable broth. Bring it to a boil, then cover the pan and reduce the heat to low. Let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a large saute pan.
- Add the shallot and garlic. Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Now add the diced apple and finely chopped broccoli. Saute until just tender.
- Toss in the lemon zest and chopped nuts. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Mix around the pan to evenly distribute.
- Reduce heat to low until the quinoa is ready.
- Once the quinoa is done, place a hearty spoonful of it in each bowl.
- Evenly divide the broccoli and apple mixture among the bowls.
- Top each bowl with 2 tablespoons of cheddar cheese and serve it up.
- I love nuts and the cashews added a creamy crunch, but feel free to use whatever type of nuts you have on hand or eliminate them all together.
- No apple, try a pear. No broccoli, try cauliflower.