This past Saturday was my second live cooking demo of the summer at the Litchfield Hills Farm Fresh Market. It was gorgeous day and I definitely surprised some folks with my recipe for Raw Beet Relish. But really, how can you resist this pink-tinted delight?! Here’s the recipe.Raw Beet Relish
Makes 2-4 servings
• 1 cup raw beets, grated
• 2 cups radishes, grated
• 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
• 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or dill or mint or oregano), chopped
• ¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 1 teaspoon honey
• salt (to taste)
- Trim the greens from the beets leaving a small portion of the stems to act as a handle when grating. Scrub the beet roots.
- Grate the beets and add put them into a medium sized bowl.
- Trim and scrub the radishes. Grate the radishes and add them to the beets.
- Add a pinch of salt and stir together. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, honey and pinch of salt.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables. Mix until everything looks nicely coated with the dressing.
- Slice the scallions and sprinkle the pieces over the top of the relish.
- Chop the fresh dill and sprinkle over the relish.
- Finally, sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds on top and serve.
NOTE: Beets can be messy but are worth it! You just may want to wear gloves when handling them as well as an apron.
- This makes a wonderful side salad but it’s also terrific over grilled meats like pork, chicken or sausages.
- Mix it up! Swap the radishes for kohlrabi or go extra sweet by adding some carrots.