Here’s a video of my final “chef” demo of the summer at the Litchfield Hills Farm Fresh Market. Special thanks to market volunteer and chairman of the Litchfield Economic Development Commission Doug Parker for all the market videos.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
Makes 4-6 servings
Ingredients: 1 cup quinoa, uncooked, 2 cups vegetable stock (or any kind of stock you have on hand), 2-3 finely chopped garlic cloves, 1 cup chopped zucchini, 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes, 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions, 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil, 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper (to taste)
1. Rinse quinoa. Pour stock and quinoa into a medium pot. Over medium-high heat bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
2. Pour the cooked quinoa into a bowl and set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl combine: chopped garlic cloves, chopped zucchini, quartered cherry tomatoes, sliced scallions and chopped basil.
4. Stir in the cooled quinoa to the vegetables.
5. Pour on the balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Alternatives: For a special presentation serve individual portions in crisp lettuce or cabbage leaves. Add some crumbled goat cheese for added flavor.